Akilah S. Richards is a Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) who specializes in women’s emotional wellness. Her work in centered on the 4 principles of Radical Self-Expression: Old Knowings, New Commitments, Inner Work, and Outward Expression. She created this practice to address the societal and self-inflicted oppression of the voices and needs of women and girls, and to explore the consequences and potential remedies therein.
As a 5-time author and spiritual educator, Akilah has created and delivered in-person and online women’s workshops about designing our ideal lives through the defining and exploration of self-expression, womanhood, modern feminism, location independence, and the unschooling lifestyle. Akilah has spoken on college campuses, in private summits, and at women’s conferences in the United States and her home island of Jamaica. She has also been featured in national magazines and newspapers, lifestyle documentaries, and several online publications.
To read her articles at Everyday Feminism, click here.
Book Akilah Now!
To arrange to have Akilah speak at your event, please complete this form here and we will be in touch soon. Her presentations include:
- Strategy & Soulwork for Radical Self-Expression – This empowerment workshop uses call-and-response, writing, visioning, and chakra work to strengthen participants’ radical self-expression muscles. It is designed to help participants integrate holistic wellness practices that promote a healthy body and soul through proper nutrition, meditation, movement, and personally enriching relationships.
- Nurturing the Aha’s: What to Do with Your Biggest Breakthroughs – This interactive lecture addresses the misconception of a “breakthrough” as a solution to a life issue, and shows participants how to use the insights and energies of breakthroughs (also known as Aha Moments) to create and implement actions that bring them closer to long term, positive change.
- Life Design through Free-Range Learning: Exploring the Unschooling Mindset – This interactive lecture takes the context of Akilah’s popular unschooling e-book and breaks it into bite-sized bits of information about how unschooling (unstructured, curiosity-led learning) facilitates self-exploration and self-expression in children and parents.
- Live Your Grain: Insights on Radical Lifestyle Management- This interactive lecture helps participants develop emotionally sustainable, moment-by-moment approach to living their best lives. Participants explore ways to integrate wellness into their natural flow and discover strategies for releasing the mythical work-life balance goal.
- Life Chanting 101 – This workshop teaches participants how to create and practice incantations that energize their spiritual W.A.L.K. (Work. Allowance. Liberation. Knowledge.)
All topics can be adapted to be presentations, keynote speeches, or workshops and can be tailored to the audience. If you don’t see a topic that quite meets your needs but think we can cover it, just let us know. We are also willing to create a signature talk or workshop for groups.
Past Presentations Include
- (Keynote) The Black Women’s Life Balance & Wellness Conference – Atlanta, GA (USA)
- Refresh + You = Fabulous Lifestyle Conference – Atlanta, GA (USA)
- (Keynote) Huggies Jamaica sponsored Muminar – Kingston, Jamaica (West Indies)
- Yolanda Adams’ Health & Lifestyle Tour – Riverdale, GA (USA)
- The Black Women’s Life Balance & Wellness Conference, 2012– Atlanta, GA (USA)
- Women’s Health & Wellness Weekend Conference – Atlanta, GA (USA)
- The Conscious C.R.A.V.E. (featuring Eric Plantenberg) – Atlanta, GA (USA)
- Clark Atlanta University Women’s Leadership Council Panel – Atlanta, GA (USA)
- Centers for Disease Control Health Pavilion @ For Sisters Only™ – Atlanta, GA (USA)
- Core Connection Lifestyle Yoga & Wellness Retreat – Ocho Rios, Jamaica (West Indies)
- Naturalpreneur Central – Telesummit Series (Global – Web-based)
- Blogging While Brown – Los Angeles, California (USA)
- SheCon New Media + Brand Expo – Miami, Florida (USA)
- Atlanta Young Writer’s Institute Summer Writing Intensive – Decatur, GA (USA)
What Others Have To Say About Akilah
“Thank you for an amazing opening keynote at the conference! When we talked with women throughout the weekend, they shared how much your words “From Aha to Action” stayed with them. Thank you for using personal life stories, beautiful images, and engaging exercises that further allowed the women to explore how they really want to feel. We appreciate you so much!”
– Shanesha R. F. Brooks-Tatum, Ph.D. and Carrie M. Sawyer, M.S., Co-chairs of the Black Women’s Life Balance and Wellness Conference
“I am so happy I hired Akilah to conduct her lifestyle workshop at my annual wellness retreat. She took us on a journey through our own selves, and gave us tools for self-expression, self-exploration, and knowledge of how to show up as our best selves in our personal and professional environments.”
– Takeyah A. Young, Speaker, Lifestyle Engineer, Certified Wellness Coach, and founder of Core Connection Lifestyle