Everyday Feminism is looking for independent contractors to work as our next Social Media Associates who want to engage and grow the community on our Facebook page for $14 per hour. In just four years, Everyday Feminism has developed one of the largest online feminist communities with over 500,000 Facebook fans. Social Media Associates play a critical role in creating a welcoming, engaging, and constructive space for feminists to learn and discuss how to apply feminism to their real lives.
The primary role of Social Media Associates is to moderate our Facebook page a couple days per week. They will check Facebook typically around 5 times per day at 8:30 am, 10:30 am, 12:30, 2:30, and 4:30 pm EST. Moderation and other small tasks usually take up to 3-4 hours per day but if there is a significantly higher number of comments that need to be moderated, then they need the flexibility to check it more often and spend more time moderating. The ideal candidate is someone who is in front of a computer 9-5 pm EST already and can check Facebook frequently without any issues. Since Everyday Feminism is a virtual organization, they will work from any location with internet and do meetings with other team members via Skype.
- Foster a positive, respectful, and engaging environment on our Facebook page
- Moderate Facebook comments, including banning trolls and responding to fans
- Answer private messages sent via Facebook
- Summarize online comments to give feedback to contributors
- Review our Twitter feed for issues
- Strong desire to connect and engage with people and build a sense of community online
- Be well-versed in intersectional feminism, including understanding issues related to racism, transphobia, homophobia, fatphobia, and classism.
- Familiar with common areas of disagreement and controversy in online feminist spaces
- Have experience with and feel comfortable moderating and responding to people online on your own site and/or social media page
- Excellent writing skills and ability to communicate in a personal and emotionally engaging way
- Self-directed and eager to meet or exceed objectives
- Eager to learn, willing to experiment knowing it might fail, and able to admit mistakes or inexperience
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Be able to begin moderating at 8:30 am EST /5:30 pm PST, especially if you are on the West Coast
- Experience with managing social media channels for an organization is preferred
- Experience and training on working with trauma survivors, such as volunteering at a sexual assault crisis center or at an anti-domestic violence organization is preferred
We are currently accepting applications for an immediate start date. Early applications are encouraged since it is a rolling process and an offer will be made as soon as a qualified candidate is vetted.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Sandra Kim at [email protected] with ‘Social Media Associate Application’ in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please include responses to the questions below.
- What do you enjoy and/or appreciate about Everyday Feminism’s online magazine and our Facebook page?
- What is your understanding of intersectionality and how does it play out in your feminist work
- What do you find to be common areas of controversy in the online feminist world and how do you address such disagreements and conflicts?
- Are you able to moderate on Monday’s and Tuesday’s at the designated check-in times and have flexibility to moderate more when necessary?
- Include a screenshot of a controversial and/or challenging online exchange which you moderated.
Please note that cover letters can be 1-2 pages long given the information we are requesting.
Everyday Feminism is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. People with multiple marginalized identities – such as queer, trans, and differently-abled people of color and size – are strongly encouraged to apply.