Kat Lazo is a Latina feminist media activist based in New York City. In order to combat the skewed-sexist messages of advertising she decided to create her own YouTube Channel: TheeKatsMeoww.
With her love of media literacy, feminist beliefs, and a dash of humor, she aims to empower and educate young people.
Location: New York City, NY
Book Kat Now!
To arrange to have Kat speak at your event, please complete this form here and we will be in touch soon.
Her presentations include:
- Media Literacy 101 – As a society, we are consuming 10 hours & 45mins of media daily. Thats more hours than what some of us get to sleep! We’ve been taught how to use critical thinking skills when it comes to the written word but what about the media? With society consuming the media in larger doses than ever before, its important to break down the messages of the media.This presentation aims to provide audience members with media literacy tools to better deconstruct the media so that they could be mindful consumers.
- How To Be a Media Warrior –When it comes to social media, young people are doing more than just taking selfies; they’re changing the world! Every great warrior has an array of weapons but a Media Warriors greatest weapon is their voice. Young people are using platforms like Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Change.org to amplify their voices and to talk back against the media. This presentation serves to empower and educate young people on how to use the internet and their voice to change the state of the media.
- Latina Representation in the Media – You can’t be what you can’t see. Well,how does the media represent Latinas? A lot of stereotypes and tropes, thats how. This presentation aims to inform the public of the negative portrayals of Latina’s in the media throughout history and the damaging effect it can have on Latinas self esteem.
Past presentations include:
- Girls’ Activism & Future of Feminism, Panelist, Southern Connecticut State University, March 3, 2014
- Let Your Voice Be Heard!, Radio Interview, City College, March 6, 2014
- Blogger Party, Brand Ambassador For UbyKotexo, January 30, 2014
- “Feminism isn’t dead, it’s gone viral”, Speaker, TEDx Navesink September 30, 2014
- Workshop: How To Be A Media Warrior, Young Womyn of Strength Conference, Brooklyn Friends School, March 1, 2014
- Break The Silence Campaign, UbyKotex Brand Ambassador, 2013