Originally published on The Daily Show and cross-posted here with their permission.
Editors Note: Everyday Feminism recognizes and celebrates gender and sex as non-binaried. Cis women, trans women, genderqueer people, androgynous people, and femme-presenting men are all targeted by misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, and other forms of patriarchal violence all through the vehicle of street harassment.
In this humorous and revealing video exposing the pervasive, invasive, and terrifying nature of street harassment, Jessica Williams challenges the ways in which patriarchy normalizes and validates violence against women.
Through revealing the ways some public figures deflect accountability by making perpetrators of sexism out to be the victims of a “feminized atmosphere” and portraying street harassment as mere compliments, Williams reveals how our society and culture privileges the oppressive entitlement of sexist men over the safety and well-being of women.
Click for the Transcript
Please read the following Everyday Feminism articles for more information on street harassment:
- An Open Letter to the Men Who Still Don’t Understand Street Harassment
- Why We Should Stop Saying Street Harassment Is a Compliment
- Why Street Harassment Sucks, and What We Can Do About It
- What Men Can Do To Stop Street Harassment
- 7 Steps You Can Take To Address Street Harassment